Monday 16 December 2013

Hello Goodbye

Hello Goodbye

Sorry for the absence again guys, but in the Christmas/pony camp rush, we have all been on the go constantly. The weather for pony camp has been truly abysmal and as per usual, as soon as the kids got in the car to go home, literally in that moment, the sun came out, and it has been bright and sunny ever since. What an absolute bummer! But we still had an awesome time though. On the last day Ali drove us all up to Forest Creek and we went on a four hour hike to the waterfalls. It was sooo beautiful and the forest felt like a real rainforest. I felt like I was in a Lara Croft game. Although, we found out later that somehow we had gone to the wrong waterfall, and the one we should have gone to was a huge one where we can swim....damn. But still, it was awesome! Had a great day. Saying goodbye to Stephan, Marli and Kasey was sad. They are all so full of life and bubbly in their own ways. They were hard work but I really was sad to see them go! And I cant believe how empty the house feels without them!

The Gitzner family with their donations for the school

But, living on a guest farm means that every time you are saying goodbye, you are inevitably saying hello to someone else. On the Friday that the kids all left camp, we were welcomed by the Gitzner family from Dubai! The Mum and Dad, Karin and Frederick, their nine year old daughter Gabriella, and Fredericks son, Armarie. They arrived late on the Friday night with their two friends and their two children, so a big group. Karin, Frederick, Gabriella, and Armarie are all here for three weeks, so they will be with us over Christmas and New Year! They are such a wonderful family, on the Saturday night they invited Edith and I to join them for a braii and we got to know eachother. Karin is a joburg girl and from South Africa, as are their friends, so I was very happy to hear them tell me that I had easily adopted a lot of the South African mannerisms. For example I always say “yar” instead of “yes”, I now use the phrase “aw shame” (very South African), if I am leaving I say “See you now now” (and as Edith says, saying this can technically mean “see you never”, haha), and if someone thanks you for anything I now say “pleasure”. I am also hand feeding my injured Rock Kestrel, Hope, every day, so I want to know what else I have to do before I get my South African Citizens badge, because you dont get more of a bush girlany where else!

But yes, the braii was beautiful, braii'd meat is honestly the best thing ever and it certainly was an improvement on the pasta I was going to make for us! The family are really awesome. Frederick works as a hotel manager, Karin works as a teacher, Armarie is studying Hospitality at Port Alfred here in South Africa, and Gabriella is of course at school haha. As Karin is a teacher, and since the whole family is very much into giving back to the community, they were very interested in the school and even brought all these fabulous paints, pencils, scissors, etc for the kids! Which was really lovely of them, and I am positive they will come in use.

And now on to the sad part of my blog. 1. Edith left the farm to go back to Germany this morning, and 2. last night, our goat Tammy (the goat that was shot in the jaw and therefore has her tongue sticking out) went into labour yesterday at 11am and at 9pm last night, exhausted nad knackered, she finally gave birth to her baby, which Ali had to pull out of her, but it was just too late and we lost the baby. So, Edith's last night was not the best one I have to say. It was just so terrible, we all thought that maybe she had had a fake pregnancy, because us and the Gitzner family sat for hours on Sunday watching her from a distance and nothing happened. But literally, the moment we all sat down for dinner last night, we heard the screams of Tammy coming from the stable and we all rushed out. Gosh, it was so sad. The baby was so perfect. But he was already gone before we could do anything. The labour was too long and exhausting for her. Poor Tammy, she was so tired that in between pushing she would fall asleep, but she cried for that baby, cleaning it, and nuzzling it, doing everything she could to get it to wake up. It was so heart breaking. It really was. At this very moment I am writing my blog from the stables where I am watching over her until Ali gets back from dropping Edith off at the Bushveld taxi. It is so sad to see her so distressed, crying for her little one....we are debating putting her in with the baby goats Uli and Rosie, since their mum died they have had to be surrogated onto other mums, who hate them. But we are hoping that Tammy might be so desperate to be able to mother something that she might go for it and it might offer her some comfort.

I can't believe Edith has gone. I really can't. One moment me and Ali were waiting for her and her family to arrive in the dark over at the cottage, and the next minute she is off and away. She was really one of the sweetest girls ever, always willing to lend a hand, always happy to help. And when I got to know her she was so hilarious as well, and I have to admit it, a much better pool player than me haha, although that isnt saying much as I suck at pool! But, seriously, where has this time gone. Where did those six weeks go? In fact, where has the last five months gone? Now I can see why people can do whole gap years away from home, I always thought that was too long, but now I see that the time just flies by.

In other news, our volunteer who was meant to be joining us for 8 weeks from 16th January, Nadia, has dropped out of coming! Apparently South Africa has too much of a dodgy reputation. I mean I can understand it kind of, what with the fiasco of the interpreter the other day.....but still, I cant believe she isnt coming! I mean, we arent really in a lot of trouble since Ali is now emplying Ness, one of our kids Thando's mother, to come work at the school, and the next volunteer Karna arrives the day after I leave. So, essentially, it doesnt matter, but I am a bit concerned that I wont have any time with any volunteer to show them the timetable and system that we work to here. I may have to start writing a guide for Karina so that she has something to follow when she is lost, because all the volunteers have been taught by the previous volunteer, so it is a bit of a bummer that I get no time with them, but never mind! Que sera sera! Everything happens for a reason right ?


So, all in all, that is the news from here on the Lydenrust farm. Tomorrow we have Ali's daughter Noogs arriving with her dog for the Christmas festivities, we have the staff Christmas party on Thursday, Danie arrives from Dubai on Friday, and I think his son Toni arrives next Monday with his girlfriend Charlene. So it is going to be a busy week of hectic comings and goings with lots of Christmas activities going on and people coming home. I have six weeks left on the farm. I hope it goes slower than Edith's six weeks.....Lekker Slaap everyone, sweet dreams xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment